You may be aware that HPFT provides commissioned social care packages as part of its delegated function within the S75 Partnership with Hertfordshire County Council for service users eligible for Care and Support as defined by the Care Act 2014. HPFT will be rolling out the financial assessment of both existing and new packages of care for individuals eligible for social care are in receipt of adult mental health services from April 2022. 

Historically, service users whose care needs are being met and commissioned by HPFT as part of its delegated function have not always had their financial contributions towards their care collected due to various systemic and practice issue.s that have been previously unresolved. HPFT have now received a clear directive from Hertfordshire County Council that all eligible service users should be assessed and that client contributions will be collected. 

Impact on Advocacy Services:
Any carers who also have Power of Attorney for finances will be involved in this process. There will, however, be individuals who are not supported by an ·appropriate individual who lack capacity to manage their finances who may also be impacted. In these cases, the expectation will be that our staff will be referring for the support of an advocate. Unfortunately, we are unable to predict the numbers involved, however, the entire process is expected to take up to a year, therefore, it is not anticipated that there will be a spike in demand for your services at any specific time. Assessments will commence at the natural point of review for existing service users, therefore demand will be spread across the year. 

Next Steps:
A letter will be sent to all affected service users and informal carers to explain that the process is beginning and where to go for support. The letter also offers assurance that social support will continue during this process. It is also important to note that any chargeable care will be for future support, not for any past support received to date.

Where can people go for additional information or support:

HCC Income Team:
Phone: 01438 843 434
Email: [email protected]

HCC Website:
Information about adult social care - find about care services, day centres and apply online for meals on wheels or a Blue Badge at

Hertfordshire Directory:
Find national and local community groups, charities, services and activities

Independent information and advice on local community services and care funding
Telephone: 0300 123 4044
Minicam: 0300 456 2364
Email: [email protected]

What if someone wants to complain about the support they receive from HPFT?

Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service at:

HPFT Head Office
The Colonnades
Beaconsfield Road

Tel: 01707 253916
Monday to Friday 9am - 3pm

Email: [email protected]

What can be done if the service user or family member believes that the financial contribution has been incorrectly assessed?

Please contact the HCC Income Team:
Phone: 01438 843 434
Email: [email protected]