A report by a national think-tank looking at the state of wellbeing in England has called on the Government to make the pursuit of mental wellbeing a priority.
The report by the CentreForum Mental Health Commission, called The pursuit of happiness: a new ambition for our mental health, identified five key priorities between now and 2020, calling for policymakers to:
- Establish the mental wellbeing of the nation or the 'pursuit of happiness' as a clear and measurable goal of government.
- Roll out a National Wellbeing Programme to promote mutual support, self-care and recovery, and reduce the stigma that too often goes hand in hand with mental ill health.
- Prioritise investment in the mental health of children and young people right from conception.
- Make places of work mental health friendly with government leading the way as an employer.
- Better equip primary care to identify and treat mental health problems.